Core Apps Update: Weather

This is the fourth in a series of posts highlighting the work being done on the Ubuntu Touch Core Apps.  I’ve been slacking a bit lately, and haven’t been publishing these as often as I had originally planned.  But now it’s time to get back on track, and what better way than with the visually appealing Weather App!

When you’re done with this one, be sure to go back and read about the Clock, Calendar and Calculator apps.

Weather Features

The weather app shows you the current weather conditions and temperate right away, followed by a forecast of the following week.  It also lets you add more than one location, so you can keep track of the weather where you are now, where you’re going next week, or where your family and friends are.

Settings

Newly added to the Weather app is the a settings dialog.  For now, it lets you switch temperature units, which is nice for those of us living in handful of countries that still haven’t converted to the metric system.

Visual Designs

The Weather app is one of the 4 Core Apps that will be getting the Suru visual design, a unique look for Ubuntu Touch’s “ritual” apps.  We have already been given the new look for Clock and Calculator, and we hope to receive the designs and assets for Weather in the next few weeks.

Release Schedule

The Weather app was far enough along in terms of functionality that retro-actively labeled our month-1 milestone (May) as the alpha release.  Now the developers are working on the addition of settings and location management, along with a long list of Autopilot tests, and are on pace to deliver a beta release in July (month-3) and a final release in August (month-4).

This entry was posted in OpenSource, Programming, Projects and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Core Apps Update: Weather

1. mzanetti says:

Wouldn’t it make sense to read the unit system somewhere from the global settings instead of each app delivering its own setting for this? I’m sure ubuntu already has some place where such information is stored.

I think it’s usually extrapolated from Locale, and we should probably use that to set the default, but as an American trying to become fluent in metric, I’m glad to have the ability to override it.

2. Pingback: tapzat » Core Apps Update: Weather | Michael Hall

3. hks says:

Whats the point in reinventing the wheel. With Android growing by leaps and bounds and Samsung launching phones which are just too good, i don’t see a point on why should Samsung or any vendor for that matter ditch Android and go behind Ubuntu. At the end of the day whats the point in running Ubuntu and looking @ something on Ubuntu which is already done by Android. Its better if Ubuntu focuses on enterprise than doing all these unity, mir etc etc

I’ll give you a few reasons:

1) Android stinks as a desktop OS. Sure Google has ChromeOS, but it’s a different operating system from Android. Ubuntu Touch and Ubuntu Desktop are the same thing.

2) Android isn’t community developed. It’s open source, and Google does interact with their community, but at the end of the day it’s almost totally a one-way street.

3) Samsung makes up about 80% of the Android market. Which is great for Samsung, but everyone else looking to compete with them hasn’t been able to do it with Android.

• Lestibournes says:

And as a potential user I’ll say that from what I’ve seen so far Ubuntu Touch is neat, clean, simple, consistent, and attractive. In comparison iOS and Android fail in some of those categories. iOS isn’t as simple and consistent IMO, and Android sure is messy and in some ways ugly. Also the new iOS 7 look, from the little I’ve glimpsed of it, seemed unattractive to me. Looking at the newest videos of Ubuntu Touch over the past 2 days I’ve been getting more and more excited, not because it’s Ubuntu but because it looks really good, to the point where I’m starting to want to use it instead of Android, even if the 50 Android games I already own don’t work on it and even if it doesn’t have all of the advanved features that the other operating systems do, simply because the UI seems like it will be great. I don’t know if I’ll actually do it, but there is a very good chance I’ll at least try it out once I think it has reached a state that is usable for me and when I’m not in the middle of a situation where I can’t risk my phone not working for a day.

4. Arvant says:

hi michael
    i want to start perfect weather App for ubuntu app showdown :)
    What do you think Micheal ?