Today I started work on the third release of Qimo. I’m slowly but surely learning how to do it better.
In the first release of Qimo I unpacked an Ubuntu ISO by hand, changed things by hand, and then re-packed the ISO….by hand. It was really quite a bit of work.
By the second release I had learned to build debian packages to install Qimo’s artwork, configurations and dependencies. This make things a good bit easier, but I was still unpacking Ubuntu’s ISO, ripping things out, installing my new packages, hacking a few more things together, and then packing it up again.
Now, for the third release, I’m learning how to use debootstrap to create a brand new ISO, just for Qimo, with just the things that Qimo needs to run. I’m still learning how it all works, but I’m hoping it will reduce the time and effort it takes to spin up a new CD image, which will let me iterate faster on the actual development of Qimo, and maybe even provide regular image downloads during development.
Who knows, if all goes well, I might even have time to fix up the website.